Well as I said before, the ship is docked at its layup berth and the deck crew has just left the ship for the season. They spent 2 days getting all thier work done and are on the way to thier homes.
The engineers have a lot more work to do. They have to drain all the water from pipes and the engines have to be prepped for the winter.
Remember the ship is all steel and that steel is sitting in freezing cold water, so any water or freezable liquids must me removed or flushed from the systems.
As for the galley we have to do a complete cleaning and remove all food left over before we leave. That means every surface outside and inside including cabinets and coolers must be cleaned. But we also must still feed the remaining crew till they are done. The whole process takes between 10 and 14 days.
It has been such a experience this year for me, learning how to cook for a crew and trying to convert my book knowledge to practical use. At first it was a daunting task, it was a shock to the system going from a restaurant to a ship.
Doing all your own prep and also all the cooking, including deserts and cookies, it wasn't easy at first. I made my share of mistakes and foul-ups. But I started to get the hang of it.
I think I'll continue this post in a few days, it takes time to really consolidate all the experiences and happenings so they make sense.
So till next time
May your cookie never crumble and your chocolate never seize.
Congratulations on your first year. That is a big accomplishment to be proud of.
ReplyDelete