Well Ive been on board for 6 days and cooking for 4. its not a easy job but it is worth the time. The only major problems I had are you must have a soup every day for lunch, well without fresh veggies to make it, thats not so easy. the previous cook, didn't make a full order before we left so Ive been scrambling to make soups. I havr to admit I will probably have to fall back on some canned soups now and then. Most of the meals have gone ok. A few glitches ere and there. I will post my menu's later this week. For any of you in menu planning class. PAY ATTENTION! Cost isent a big factor but planning and writing menus at least a week ahead is. you have to purchase or order your food only once per week, that means if you run out, your out of luck. Think you know how much butter to order, think again. Its a learning experience thats for sure. he crew is great and the most I have fed at one meal I think was 12. but that dosent mean you can slack of and under cook the full amounts. I havent run out of a item yet but i have been down to my last portion a couple of times.
Lunch and dinner must have 2 entrees and salad plus the afore motioned soup. Also with this company the second cook cleans but isent required to cook, so Ive been doing deserts too. Thats also a requirement. Plus this crew loves cookies, not a written in stone rule, but you dont want to run out.
Im not allowed to repeat a item more than once every two weeks. Bring you cookbooks and recipes you will need them. BTW I start at 5 am, work till about 9 have a hour off then back till 2 or so, then back a 3 till 5 or 6. lots of hours but it can be done.
Well its 7:30 and Im bushed from today, Im going to turn in and wait till the am to do it all again.
Til next time, May your soup never be to salty and your captain be friendly.
Smooth sailing, you cranky old man. Here's hoping that for the next 5 weeks or so, the wind will be forever at your back and your sails always full.
ReplyDelete